There are many reasons to be scared about high exposure to cell phone radiation. Most people constantly carry their phones around with them in pockets or sleep next to them in bed. What people don’t realise is cell phones emit radiation, which has been suspected of causing various health risks such as brain cancer and infertility. Keyword being suspected. So, how worried should you be about cell phone radiation?
Cell phones work by sending and receiving signals to and from cell phone towers. These signals are a form of electromagnetic radiation called radio frequency (RF) energy. Other sources of RF energy include cell phone towers, TV and radio transmitters, smart meters, and microwave ovens. When a phone sends signals to a tower, the RF energy goes from the phone’s antenna out in all directions, including into the head and body of the person using the phone. Cell phones also emit RF energy when using Wi-Fi and/or bluetooth, but at lower levels.
All cell phones, and smart phones to a greater degree, give off forms of non-ionising Electromagnetic Field Radiation (EMF), comprised of Radio Frequency (RF) radiation and Extremely Low Frequency (ELF) radiation.
Should You be Concerned About EMF Radiation?
EMFs are a type of non-ionising radiation that emit low-frequency radiation without enough energy to break off electrons from their orbits around atoms and ionise (charge) the atoms. They vary in strength and are found in microwaves, computers, cell phones, wireless networks, radio waves, radar, fluorescent lighting, cell phones and radiation produced by electrical transmission.
Although not as harmful as ionising radiation (X-rays etc.), studies have shown that non-ionising EMF radiation, such as that emitted by cell phones, can cause insomnia, decreased bone density in the pelvis, infertility in men, and can affect brain activity.
How To Protect Yourself From Cell Phone Radiation
We don’t need to give up our digital devices, but it is important to create healthy boundaries from our 24/7 accessibility and EMF exposures. Simple, mindful steps will add up in the long run!
- Distance matters. EMF radiation gets weaker the further you get from the source, which includes your phone, WiFi device, or cell tower. Keep your phone away from your body as much as possible, carry it in a purse or briefcase instead of your pocket. Don’t charge your phone (or other electronics) near your bed, and turn off your WiFi at night to give your body a break.
- Limit use of microwaves, computers and wireless networks such as Wi-Fi and Bluetooth when possible. These items are a constant in our environment, but limiting exposure may be beneficial, especially for children.
- Pay attention to your signal strength. A weaker signal means an increase in EMF radiation coming from your phone. Put your phone on airplane mode or turn it off whenever possible.
Wired over Wireless
There are reports suggesting that talking on the phone for more than 50 minutes will affect the activities of the person’s brain. So, it is recommended that you should save yourself from high levels of radiation. The easiest way to do this is to make use of a wired headset. Of course, Bluetooth headphones have gained traction of late, but these might not be completely safe and can emit radiation to some extent. When you use headphones, your phone will not be placed too close to your body, so there is increased chances for the radiation level to go down.
- Plug electronic devices into a power strip with a timer. This makes it easy to have devices on when you need them and off when you don’t.
- Unplug small items that don’t need to be powered at all times like your hairdryer or kitchen mixer.
- Restrict electronic devices in your bedroom to absolute must-haves such as an air purifier or humidifier.
- Disconnect your router at night or when you’re not using it.
Use EMF Blocking Products
- While protective cases are commonly used, there are companies that make anti-radiation cases. These cases are made of a synthetic on the exterior and micro-fiber on the interior. These materials will protect your phone as well as prevent the harmful effects of radiation with a radiation-shielding foil.
- Invest in an EMF blocking pouch, which reduces the electromagnetic fields emitted from your phone.
How do you protect yourself from cell phone radiation?